A spirit is an supernatural, incorporeal creature that has no physical body. Instead they are composed of etheric matter and energy, which does not interact with everyday matter in most cases, only other ethereal manifestations. As such, they can be touched/harmed only by other incorporeal creatures made of etheric matter, magic weapons or spells, mana plasma, or supernatural/preternatural abilities.
The majority of spirits have various means of manifesting a form that can interact with the everyday physical world.
Spiritual Matter and EnergyEdit
In this post, Spectral=spiritual but spectral sounds cooler.
Etheric is immaterial matter that doesn’t interact with normal matter and in most cases light. Interestingly, it does have some weird version of mass as it drifts within gravitational fields of normal celestial bodies and definitely those also of etheric substance. As such in the contemporary eras, it is speculated have counterparts to everyday materials and energies.
Spirits are beings composed of etheric matter which while intangible with normal stuff, can at least interact with itself, meaning spirits can touch ethereal objects, materials imbued with etheric energy, and be affected by spiritual energy psychokinesis (PKE). Unlike most corporeal beings, their mass can often behave similar to fluids (like liquids and gases).
- The idea was influenced a bit by dark matter, mainly the not interacting with baryonic matter part, but I wouldn't go far as saying that spirits are made of dark matter in story. Although I have been playing around with the idea of spectral comets and asteroids.
Spirits do not need to breathe, eat, excrete or sleep (although they can do so in a corporeal form if they wish). Spirits possessing a creature are subject to the physical needs of that creature.
A spirit possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).
- Incorporeal: All spirits have the incorporeal subtype when not possessing or manifesting a physical body. They are composed of etheric matter, a type of matter that normally doesn't interact with normal matter or visible light, typically being invisible and passing through unnoticed. They are most commonly composed of a type called ectoplasm.
- Possession: All spirits can possess physical objects or creatures. However the exact kind of object or creature a specific spirit can possess is noted in the creature's description.
- Corporeal Manifestation: Some spirits can instead manifest as a physical creature to interact with normal matter. The exact kind of object or creature a specific spirit can manifest as is noted in the creature's description. The manifestation no longer is incorporeal, thus it is affected by normal matter but now intangible to etheric matter from the etheral plane.
- Arcane Magic: All spirits are capable of performing ordered spell-craft as well as have innate magic qualities unique to their kind called supernatural abilities. This includes those with spirit ancestry.
- Psychic: Spirits can produce psychokinetic energy, but what specific ability it manifests will depend on the being and will be displayed in their entry. Typically:
- Telepathy: Transfer of information on thoughts or feelings between individuals mentally
- Precognition: Perception of information about future places or events before they occur.
- Clairvoyance: Obtaining information about places or events at remote locations.
- Psychokinesis: The ability of the mind to influence matter, time, space, or energy.
Jinn (Sub-type): Jinn are spirit creatures different in that instead of representing or embodying a concept, they are have completely independent natures like people and of the natural world if they choose. Also their spirit forms can be influenced by strong electric and magnetic fields due to their etheric energy interacting with electromagnetism in a similar fashion to plasma.
Divine (Subtype): Divine spirits are distinguished by having "vastly more power than the average mortal" as they are the only beings capable of performing Divine Works. They are also immortal by either simply preventing such damage from appearing (invulnerability/protection), while others are the regenerative type, surviving and quickly recovering. Many also manage or guard an aspect of either natural, preternatural, or supernatural mechanics of existence.
Demonic (Subtype): Spirits that originate from or corrupted by Negative Mutagenic Ectoplasm. As such their motives are typically described as evil and threats to most forms of life. Generally they focus on corrupting other forms of life to join them or eliminating the competition.
Angels were created from holy light in heaven while Jinn where created from smokeless fire (probably space plasma) on Earth. However with the population of the third created race, Humans, being more than the Jinn's liking, they convinced the angels to help them create their own realm and planet called the Arcane Realm.
Before the creation of the arcane realm, our earth was filled with the spiritual energy of any living thing that died. (But not their consciousness which faded after death). Similar to the legends of the Orient, the spirits habituated and represented the natural world and were known as Kami or Genii. As the Arcane Realm was born, most if not all of these spirits were dragged into the new world. The packets of spiritual energy were attracted to the ambient energy created by the Jinn of the new world and some even gained their own life and awareness in the chaotic world. It was at this point that these spirits could be called living things and experience the conditions that all life endure.
In the Establishment Era, when the first jinn explorers went off to discover new lands, they found new types of spirits and distinguished themselves from themselves.
Pages in category "Spirits"
This category contains only the following page.